• The floor space requirement for 0-4 weeks is 1.5 sq.ft. per bird.
• The brooder house should be made ready atleast two days before the arrival of poults.
• The litter material should be spread in a circular manner with a diameter of 2 mtrs.
• Poult guard of atleast 1 feet height must be provided to prevent the poults from wandering away from source of heat.
• Starting temperature is 950F followed by weekly reduction of 50F per week upto 4 weeks of age
• Shallow waterers should be used.
Turkeys are not the best starters in their life and will really need some tender loving care to get them safely through the first four weeks of life. The average mortality rate is 6-10% during this period. Young poults by nature are reluctant to eat and drink in the first few days of life, primarily because of bad eyesight and nervousness. Hence, they have to be force fed.